This Blog is dedicated to the Noble and Great horses in our lives and throughout history. Visit the land of the unicorns in Behind The Mist, the horse lover's fantasy for pre-teens to adults.


Order here now:


http://behindthemist.com/

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Dressage-Great Brentina

In the book, Behind the Mist, Book One of The Mist Trilogy, the reader learns that the Noble and Great horses are trained to become unicorns in the after-life and earn their horns. This blog is dedicated to the Noble and Great horses in our lives and in history. 

In the fall of 2002, I traveled to Salt Lake City to receive some training in Public Affairs, my volunteer service (we call these "callings") for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I happened to sit at the same table with some Public Affairs Volunteers from Seattle. The lady sitting next to me and I started talking about horses. Yes, I was probably the one who brought them up since I don't know how to converse intelligently about anything else. But I digress! She said to me that her cousins owned some "big, fancy dressage horse in Idaho." I caught my breath and said: "Brentina?"

"Yes, that's the name," she responded.

"Your cousins own Brentina?" I responded in awe.

"Yes," she responded, clearly not aware of why I was so thunderstruck.

I had the privilege of seeing Brentina and her fabulous rider, Debbie McDonald, at the World Cup in Las Vegas, in 2004. I cried all the way through her performance to "Respect." I am attaching that for you. This is a great video because you get expert commentary along the way and you will undoubtedly learn something new about Dressage. 



Brentina was foaled in 1991 in Germany. She is a 16.2 hand chestnut Hanoverian mare...just the right size for the tiny Debbie. I really relate to Debbie because she is just my size! The mare was purchased by Perry and Peggy Thomas (my dinner-mate's cousins) for 150,000 Deutsch Marks in October, 1994 at the Elite Auction in Verden.

The mare's bond with Debbie, who was a trainer at the Perry's stable in Sun Valley, Id., was, apparently, immediate. Brentina has that great combination of being both a hard worker and a show-off! Her international show carrier started with Double Golds in the 1999 Pan American Games. Over their 14 year partnership, they won a huge list of metals and awards  including the 2005 USEF Horse of the Year.

Brentina had her share of injuries and always received the best of care, of course. In February 2009 she underwent Colic surgery...which should strike fear into the heart of all you horse owners out there! Brentina was retired from competition on April 17, 2009 at the World Cup in Las Vegas.

She is now making big bucks as a brood mare but she will not be carrying any foals herself...too risky. Her first foal was born in April, 2010. His name is Dillinger and is a black Hanovarian Colt by Damsey. Her second foal was born in May, 2010. His name is Brighton and is a chestnut colt by Leslie Morse's stallion, Kingston. Unfortunately, the mare died as a result of complications during birth...See, the Perrys were wise not to take any chances.

 I do not doubt that Brentina is one of those Noble and Great horses that will, someday, earn her horn. But I hope she has a long life and contributes many wonderful American-bred Hanoverians to the warm-blood world. Everyone Loves You, Brentina!

Tell me about the Noble and Great horse in your life! 
Email me at:

 mjevansbtm@gmail.com

If you enjoy fantasies and horse stories, you can purchase Behind the Mist for just $10.95 at:

www.behindthemist.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment